sizeof(long) = 4
sizeof(void *) = 4

On 64bit we've got:

sizeof(char) = 1
sizeof(short) = 2
sizeof(int) = 4
sizeof(long) = 8
sizeof(void *) = 8

i.e., int is always 4 bytes, long is the size of a pointer and is either 4 bytes or 8 bytes.

In the past we've had some confusion or paranoia around int's and long's.  They've been fixed in 4.5 although the code hasn't been scrubbed top to bottom yet nor have the configure scripts and Makefile's been scrubbed for optimal 64bit compile.  And, I know of one confusion of a pointer with int in the thread code for Win32 which isn't fixed so 64bit Windows may not work and has never been tried.   In addition, the code hasn't been fully scrubbed to deal with large objects, e.g., big files beyond 4gig.

In practice, AOLserver 4.5 compiles and runs on 64bit Unix.  A more extensive 64bit cleaning effort is planned for the next release.  We don't want to hold up 4.5 any longer -- it's got tons of new features.

-Jim