On Wednesday 05 September 2007 17:53, Dave Bauer wrote:
> Might work, might not. You could write a few tests by comparing output
> from tjhe Java to your new maintainable map. This assumes there is a
> one-to-one mapping. I have no idea, I am not familiar with Chinese.

There are several steps, but processing is char-by-char. You have to know how
to read a char. With UTF-16, this is easy. UTF-8 is harder to read. Once you
have a char, you need a method to map it to the new character set.  Handling
errors is another story.

Also, if you are reading a channel, you can fconfigure as binary. If you don't
do this, then Tcl will probably convert it to UTF-8. Use your char reader on
a binary channel unless Tcl can do the conversion all by itself.

Don't expect too much, I have yet to find a browser which reads UTF-8 100%
correct.

see: http://rmadilo.com/files/utf-8/UTF-8-test.txt