On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Don Baccus <dhog...@pacifier.com> wrote:
> Just go away until you 1) understand the SQL standard and 2) Oracle.

Don! I am not the author of a database driver which cannot distinguish
the empty string and NULL, a driver for a database which can make the
distinction.

That is you.

When dealing with pure SQL I prefer a model which does not allow NULL.
However, you must realize that the interface which we are talking
about, which includes bind variables, deals also with a functional
interface. This is where Oracle and PostgreSQL differ very
significantly. Oracle allows default values whereas pg does not. PG
also allows overloading, but Oracle does not. (or maybe it does, but
I've never used it) So the problem of creating a generic interface to
Oracle and PG presents complications far beyond handling NULL.

I prefer Oracle because for any given problem it offers more tools to
construct an optimal solution, but I am willing to work with PG for
less demanding applications.

But the application should not be defined in terms of the capabilities
of any particular programming language. That is the basic problem with
arguing that Tcl cannot represent NULLs. The real question is can Tcl
code reflect the full semantics of a particular interface. Handling
NULLs is easier than handling the so-called object-relational
interface.

Whatever,