The following reply was made to PR general/2031; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jon D. Marburger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], John Buswell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: general/2031: logs incorrectly handled
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

 On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Jon D. Marburger wrote:

 > > Is NFS involved?
 >
 >      Yes.  The central nfs server contains a raid5 array which allows /home
 > to be nfs-mounted on w3.one.net, shell.one.net, and other user servers.
 > (httpd runs on w3.one.net, I was logged in on shell.one.net.)  I do not know
 > which version of nfsd each machine is running as it has been awhile since
 > I administered them.

 This is the problem.  NFS doesn't preserve unix filesystem semantics,
 especially regarding append files.  You'll either need to log locally, or
 log via a network socket or something else to the server.  You shouldn't
 be logging in user home directories anyhow, it's a security hazard... at
 least that's what I think you're doing.

 It's better to log into a central location on the webserver, and NFS
 export that.  This is both secure and reliable.  Users just can't rotate
 their logs... I mean sure you could code up something so they could, but
 we're not going to support it, it's far too much of a security problem.

 Dean