The following reply was made to PR config/2372; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: SL Baur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: config/2372: If libcrypt is installed, it will be used even if
compiling for libc5
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 23:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

 On 7 Jun 1998, SL Baur wrote:

 > My compiler settings were not broken though.  After I hand-edited all
 > the Makefiles to remove the spurious -lcrypt's which Configure added, it
 > built (and ran) correctly under libc5.

 Yes, your compiler settings are wrong if adding -lcrypt to them causes
 them to load a crypt library that doesn't work.

 The correct way to do what you're doing is to create a new gcc specs file
 which does not have /usr/lib in it at all.  It should have
 /usr/i486-unknown-linux/lib in it only (or wherever you put your libc5).
 It should also avoid /usr/include entirely... otherwise you could end up
 with a header mismatch -- and the result would be far worse than using
 glibc2 in the first place.

 To be honest, I've never been happy with a system with both glibc2 and
 lib5.  Believe me, I've tried.  I support apache on both platforms, and
 I'd love to have them both on the same system to simplify development and
 testing.  But there are just too many little problems that happen that I
 gave up on it... after wasting a lot of time with specs files, and
 rebuilding libraries and crap like that.

 You, me, and probably 20 other people use this configuration.  There are
 thousands that use libc5-only, and thousands more that use glibc2-only.  I
 have no motivation to support a tiny fraction of the population using an
 interim solution.

 Dean