On Jan 14, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Nick Burch wrote:

> Hi All
>
> As most of you will hopefully know, we have a desire to host another ACEU,
> but know it can't be organised the same way, and ACNA is being run by an
> external producer in a different way to past ApacheCons.

As said organizer, we will be happy to facilitate this meeting.

> I would like to propose that towards the end of ACNA, as many of us as
> possible get together (with note taking / recording / google hangouts etc for
> those not in Portland) to decide what we want to do about ApacheCon
> post-Portland. Topics will include, but not be limited to:
> * How does the new style producer arrangement work, and what should be
>  changed going onwards?

I'd be interested in this feedback, but readers shouldn't feel that they need
to wait - we are happy to  hear good and bad comments at all times, and would
love to hear form the community and particularly those interested in ApacheCon.

> * Can we square the circle of user + developer + committer/contributor
>  needs with one ApacheCon event, or do we need to split (and if so
>  into what?)

It would be a shame to do that in my opinion, and the contributors are those
with the highest value as speakers and delegates to others thinking of coming
to ApacheCon.

> * Assuming we do want to run more producer led ACNAs and ACEUs, what do
>  we need to alter (if anything) from the RFP, what timescales etc should
>  we do for selecting a producer for both? (Note that producers ideally
>  want 12-18 months run-up)

I'll underline this. We've just won the rights to run DjangoCon 2014 and 2015,
so we are running about 21 months ahead for conferences that aren't "first time
around".

> Everyone is welcome to attend, including past/present/future producers.
> However, if we make amazing progress and get into nitty-gritty details, we
> might need to make the last bit of the session concom only. Hopefully the
> outcome of this + subsequent on-list discussions will quite quickly be a plan
> for ApacheCons for the next few years!

That's understandable.

> Pencil it in your diaries, and we'll try to announce a date + venue a little
> closer to ACNA!
>
> Nick

Please count us in on this one.

regards