You can do an add-on that open a socket and read the data from your
application. There are some tutorials on doing this on the development
guide.

Although not very secure, this tutorial tells you the basic of a listener
or deamon that would receive commands from external applications
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Deamon_in_Python

Although old this is a tutorial on how it works:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/starting-stopping-and-connecting-openoffice-python

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor