From: Herbert Duerr [mailto:h...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:14 AM
To: d...@openoffice.apache.org
Cc: api@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Extension Manager Add Crashes

On 14.04.2014 17:59, Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Anyone available that understands the OpenOffice bridges or could point me to
> the correct documentation so that I can begin to understand the problem
> myself? This has been a road block for me.

The OpenOffice bridges are part of the UNO framework. An overview [1] and FAQ
[2] can help to get started into this topic. Especially see the FAQ's chapter
2.9 ("Why is it so annoying to write a compiler version dependent C++ bridge?")
on the deliberate design decisions that lead to this unfortunate fragility.
There are other applications in the same league as OpenOffice that use plain
implementation languages and thus avoid these extreme platform dependencies.

[1] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/Article/Understanding_Uno
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/FAQ
[3] http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
[4]
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/5/5e/DevelopersGuide_OOo3.1.0_05AdvancedUNO.odt

There is a good chance that the ABI hasn't much changed and that the different
compiler versions produces similar enough code so that one could eventually get
along with minor tweaks to the Sparc Solaris UNO bridge. But finding the right
knobs to tweak is a bit tricky. I hope the references above help to solve this.

Herbert