A few years ago I experienced a significant amount of deer damage on new
plantings & requested a depravation permit from the Illinois DNR.  They
suggested a product called Plant Skid, & said it had worked well  in other
locations.  I did so, and it definitely helped the situation.  It also works
well on vegetable plots when sprayed around the perimeter.  The drawback is
that it must be resprayed after rain washes it off.

Having said that, I concur with others on this list. . . the best deterrent is
lead.

Pat Curran
Currans Orchard
6385 Kilburn Avenue