I agree that a fruit needs adequate number of leaves to produce sugars that it
uses to produce the coloring substance (anthyocyanin), among other things...
However, fruit color will not be any better in an off year when the tree may
have only a handful of fruits and a large number of leaves.  Mosbah

From: apple-crop [mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.com] On Behalf Of
Hugh Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:32 PM
To: kellyorchards; Apple-Crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [Apple-Crop] Jonagold

A heavy crop will do it.  Find a tree with good color and then make an estimate
of the leaves / fruit ratio. I'm betting the non-coloring trees have 10-40
leaves or per fruit, whereas the good color trees will have 50-100+ leaves per
fruit. My take on it..

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:19 PM, kellyorchards