My approach here may be a bit unorthodox, but it has produced good results for
me. For most materials there are given ranges per acre on the label. I simply
use the physical acreage covered by each load to mix. In some blocks my
tankload will cover 6 acres, while some narrower row blocks a load will only
cover 4 acres. I calculate acres using an old computer program I have, but I
think with google earth you can draw out a shape on the satellite image and it
will calculate the acreage.

I also adjust the rate of pesticide used per acre within the allowed range
depending on tree size and arrangement. For the narrow row blocks where a
tankload covers 4 acres I have found through experience that 3 pounds of captan
is sufficient for most applications , meaning that 12 pounds of captan per load
is needed. while the wider rows of standard trees approaching 100 years old
next to them require the maximum 5 pound per acre rate of captan for consistent
scab control. So that trip is covering 6 acres at the 5 pound rate, so a full
30 pounds of captan is needed in that mix.

I did use simpler numbers for illustration purposes. My real numbers involve
pesky fractions that would make the example long and confusing.

Ernest Rollins
Rollins Orchards
207-717-7057