Hello Fellow Growers,

We are well aware of the quality impact of extreme cold weather on apples in
terms of long term storage, quality, etc.  We are facing low temperatures in
Northwest NJ of 17 degrees F on Friday night surrounded by 27 on Thursday
evening and 25 on Saturday evening.  Daytime highs on Friday are expected to be
only 34 and on Saturday 41.  We would love to be able to maintain some apples
on our trees until Thanksgiving for PYO uses only.  Do any of you have any
experience with this?  Will the apples maintain a sufficient amount of quality
to be able to be marketed to a rather non discriminating PYO cliental following
the freeze event with the expectation that the apples will be used quickly for
fresh use and not stored?  Are these apples suitable for cider?

I appreciate your insight into this question.

Best Regards,

Kurt

Kurt W. Alstede
Founder, Owner, General Manager,