My friend Jon Clements wants more information on what moderating temperatures
means?

The origional question was should cherry trees be planted now, with 15F
temperatures forecast for the following Tuesday.

My reponse was Do not plant until temperatures moderate!

I would not plant if temperatures following planting are foecasted to be below
28F, but in all honesty it is better to wait until temperatures moderate above
32F- nursery trees that  have been in cold storage all winter are ususally a
bit stressed. Exposing them to 15F is a recipie for cold injury to the buds,
especially on bench grafted trees.

The other consideration is new trees or rootstock is not going to grow if the
soil is really cold. As the temperature moderates the soil temperate rises and
roots will grow.

Win