It could be Marssonina leaf blotch, which has been appearing in orchards this
time of year – we first identified this in Pennsylvania last September and I’m
aware of incidences in NY, NJ, and CT.  It’s rearing its head again this
season, most likely due to the feet of rain we have received since July.  I
recently wrote an article for PSU’s Fruit Times:

https://extension.psu.edu/2018-disease-update-marssonina-blotch-on-apple-trees

Moral of the story:  treat it like you would deal with apple scab.  Sanitation
will be key keeping this disease in check year to year.

Kari Peter, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Professor - Tree Fruit Pathology
Department of Plant Pathology and Environmental Microbiology
Penn State Fruit Research and Extension Center
290 University Dr., P.O. Box 330
Biglerville, PA 17307-0330

Office: 717-677-6116 Ext. 223
Fax: 717-677-4112