Hello,

At our orchard this past year we received a small grant from the USDA-SARE program for on-farm research to evaluate organic methods for promoting branching in nursery apple trees.  As part of the project we are sharing our results with other growers - hence this email.

Very briefly, we were looking for a way to raise well-feathered trees.  Commercial nurseries often use synthetic plant growth regulators to promote branching.  We tried tearing off young leaves near the growing tip as well as spraying an OMRI-listed seaweed extract high in cytokinins.  Tearing off the leaves did have a small effect and produced about one extra feather per tree.  The seaweed extract spray actually decreased branching slightly.

You can read the full report of our project here: http://www.twoonionfarm.com/research/. I'm happy to answer any questions by email.

Regards, Chris McGuire
--

Chris & Juli McGuire