I agree with what have been written, but instead of investing in fumigation,
I suggest you try a soil bioassay. Simply, collect soil samples from
different areas in your orchard where you plan to grow the trees and mixed
it together very well.  Divide the soil in half; One half put in the oven at
90 degree Celsius for 30 or 40 minutes and the other half leave unheated.
after the heated sample cools, place the heated and unheated samples in
separate flats or pots.  Plant 50 apple seeds (uniform size from the same
variety) in each container.  Use apple seeds from last year's fruits or from
fruits that have been in cold storage for a few months otherwise they will
not germinate.  When the seedlings reach about 30 cm in length, count them
and measure the length and number of leaves. If the seeds planted in the
heated soil germinate better, taller and have more leaves, then you need to
either fumigate, replace the soil or wait another year. If they look the
same (within 30% difference) then I suggest you go ahead and plant.  Mosbah
Kushad, University of Illinois 

  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Lee Williamson
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Apple-Crop: Apple Replant Syndrome


Hello All,
 
I'm looking for a little help with something which I believe is called Apple
Replant Syndrome.
 
Within the last six months I have pulled out some Lady Williams, Hi Early,
and Royal Red apple trees.  I am planning to plant Granny Smith on 106
rootstock approximately 1.5 meters apart in the same soil within the next
twelve to eighteen months.  I have heard of Apple Replant Syndrome but don't
know what it is or even if it really does exist.  Perhaps somebody out there
could tell me if my concerns are justified, and if so, what I can do to
prevent it.
 
It's probably worth pointing out that this is only my third year as an
orchardist so please don't hesitate to state the obvious.  What is obvious
to you might be a revelation to me.
 
Thank you.
 
Lee Williamson
Eden Gardens Orchard
Western Australia
 

Reply via email to