Good Day Gentlemen,

 

Has anyone else noticed the declining number of students and apprentices in
Horticultural disciplines?  We are currently searching for an additional
supervisory level employee for a position that has the potential to grow
into management but am finding that qualified candidates are not too
numerous.  I graduated my self from Delaware Valley College with a Hort.
Degree in 1985 with over 30 others.  The year prior there were almost 40 and
the year me over 30 again.  Since then, however, the numbers have declined
and DVC now has less than 20 in the entire 4 year program.  It is my
understanding that Cook College at Rutgers has followed a similar fate and
no longer offers a degree in Horticulture.

 

I find that this is an unfortunate turn of events as I see first hand the
tremendous opportunity that we have in production Horticulture even in
suburbanizing Northern New Jersey.  What attracts students to Dairy or
Agronomy over Horticulture?  Perhaps there are greater numbers of Hort.
students outside of the Northeast?  Perhaps in Europe?

 

I would welcome your thoughts.  Perhaps there are better places to recruit
than we have tried.

 

Kind Regards,

 

Kurt W. Alstede

General Manager

Alstede Farms, LLC

Chester, New Jersey 07930

United States of America

 

Tel.  908-879-7189

 

Reply via email to