I agree with you Kenny and sympathize as I watch the farm families I've served 
for 25 years grow frustrated at the mounting challenges to farming that seem to 
have little to do with growing crops. Many have a younger generation that want 
nothing to do with farming, for the reasons you cite. I'm concerned that our 
farm culture may be diminishing at a time when our need to preserve it may be 
at it's greatest.

Bill Shoemaker, Sr Research Specialist, Food Crops
University of Illinois - St Charles Horticulture Research Center
www.nres.uiuc.edu/faculty/directory/shoemaker_wh.html

  I was talking more of a general perception of the farmer and farming in 
general. I would have liked to have heard the discussion in the late 50's as we 
in the United States basically regulated the exploration for new oil field's to 
nothing. There was plenty of oil in third world countries ( most of which were 
our allies ) and the production would greatly spur the development of their 
economies. It did not take long to find that as a net importer of oil we could 
be shut-off from supply and would pay what we had to for the product ( The road 
use tax on a gallon of gas is now more than the price was in 72). I worry that 
we are letting the same thing happen with our food production. At most of the 
grower meetings that I attend at 48 I am one of the youngest persons there. I 
only hope that we in this country do not let a generation of growers move away 
from the farm because of poor returns, long hours of hard work and most 
especially the growing regulation imposed upon us by groups of well meaning but 
short-sighted groups that have the time to complain to the government until it 
is easier to pass the wanted regulation than listen to them anymore. The 
volumes of paperwork has increased 100% or more in the last 20 years. I will be 
the first to state that there has been and still are a small group of growers 
who cause most of these problems and as an industry we would be better served 
without them. In my area we have tried to become more proactive in identifying 
possible problems whether it be environmental, the way labor is treated, or how 
our farming operation effect our neighbors. Our goal is " Do no harm to others" 
and when someone stops trying to meet this goal then help them to remember the 
alternatives.  Farming is a wonderful live style a way to make a living for 
those who are born with it in their blood. For the other people I can only feel 
sorry for them. We finished pruning today and its not to far to the golf 
course, because it will be in the 70's today and we sprayed peach last Monday 
and it looks like apples will need to be spray on Monday. May all you crops be 
plentiful and the demand for them strong. I hope this is a saying that is 
positive " may you die in Ireland".

  with much respect,
  Kenny Barnwell





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from 
AOL at AOL.com. 

Reply via email to