I think if we want to preserve farming we need to preserve the resouce
first.

Rings my bell, John!  Thanks.

As a county planning commissioner, John speaks with considerable knowledge of the situation in his area. His rapidly urbanizing area, which offers incredible opportunity for agricultural diversity and length of growing season, is already at a terrible deficit regarding the ratio of existing population to arable acres.

I hope none on this list considers this discussion of the farm bill and the most basic essential related to it - agricultural resource lands (ARL's) - off topic ... so that the discussion can continue. "They ain't makin' anymore of it!" "Carrying Capacity (sustainability)" is something we cannot duck. It would be useful to hear from those outside the U.S.A. how agricultural resource lands (ARLs) are being protected and what the status of your nation's food security and agricultural economy is now and is predicted to be for the next few decades.

Not to divert your responses to John's post:

Yesterday, "The Currents," a very informative program aired M-F in the morning hours by CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) radio, presented a program relevant to Apple-Crop's current topics. Program host is the excellent Anna Maria Trimonti. I highly recommend fellow listers go to the CBC Radio website as they post their most current program content: Try this: http://www.cbc.ca/the current/2007/200704/20070403.html.

The program included a range of issues:

1. Human migration (and the associated impacts on ARLs as the result of physical assimilation by the landscape) which are occurring as the result of global warming...all of which relates to land use vs food security/sustainability...and the opportunity or lack there of for agriculture;

2.  The impact of global warming on plants and agriculture;

3. The current direction toward bio-fuel production in lieu of food production. We are to the point where we are going to have to make a decision between food and fuel. This was the first time I have heard any of the broadcasting media beginning to articulate this concern.

Darlyn Del Boca
N.W. Washington USA