Anyone have a clue as to what causes this splitting/cracking? (Thanks to Glen Koehler at UMO for creating this link)
http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/apple/nosearch/cracked-apples-Oz.htm

So far it seems specific to Karmijn de Sonnaville (fabulous apple here) though I seem to remember a Mutsu on MARK manifesting similar symptoms for the two seasons prior to my yanking it. Perhaps it has something to do with the Cox's OP in Karmijn's parentage; but then wouldn't my Cox's be splitting too? I have read that cracking can be a physiological disorder on juvenile Karmijn, but these have been producing since '03. (When are they no longer "juvenile?") Oddly, or perhaps not so oddly (perhaps even significantly) is that both affected Karmijns are on grafts that I made on two different MARK rootstocks many years ago (prior to learning that MARK is not the best choice for triploids.) Other varieties grafted to the same roots at the same time are not similarly affected. I can only speculate as I grope for a definitive explanation and possible means of prevention, hence my query to this group.

Thanks for your consideration,
Richard
Richard J. Ossolinski
Gouldsboro, ME (coastal Zone 5)
P.S. Yesterday I came across one that was split vertically. Go figure.