  From: Con.Traas
  To: Apple-Crop
  Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:51 AM
  Subject: Apple-Crop: Spring 2008

  Hello all,

  We are experiencing a lovely warm spell for this time of the year, and St.
Valentine's Day. Although warm, the trees are not so advanced as they were a
few years ago, when the first Victoria plum trees started flowering at this
time. So, at the moment it looks as though (assuming the weather does not
remain warm for too long) we will have an early spring, but not one for the
record books, which is a relief, as we have often had damaging frosts in early
May, which is still a long way off.

  On our own farm we still have apples in store, and thanks to the Smartfresh
treatment, they are really excellent. In fact, they seem to stay that fresh
that I need to add far fewer high-acid apples to my juice to get a nice balance
between sweetness and acidity. My only problem is to figure out what to do with
the high acid apples.

  In general growers were happy with apple demand this year, but are very
concerned about the rising costs of fertiliser (linked to oil prices it seems),
and agrochemicals. However, labour is still the number one cost, and it looks
likely to remain that way. At least in Ireland it is possible to get labour,
whereas in the UK and Holland, it can be very difficult.

  I would be interested to hear what prospects are like in other parts of the
World, and how the spring is shaping up. Right now I've got to go out and do a
bit of work.

  Con Traas