About 10 years ago we bought a bunch of wire limb spreaders in 2
sizes.  For a certain stage of growth (between clothespins and
notched angle spreaders) they are the only type of spreader that I've found that
works for  limbs that are still flexible.

Since we can't post photos to the list-serve, let me attempt to describe them:
Each spreader consists of a firm wire that you hook around the main trunk of the tree. The other part of the wire extends out (they come in a couple of lengths) a ways along the limb. There's a gentle hook that you place on the limb to hold it down, maybe 12 or 15 inches out.

We recently put in a new block of trees and next spring will need
more of these spreaders.
Does anyone know of a supplier who still sells these?

Thanks,
Jackie Merwin
Black Diamond Farm
Trumansburg, NY