From: dmnor...@royaloakfarmorchard.com
To: Apple-Crop
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: Early bearing

We have found that branch bending has worked the best for us on B9 and M9 as
well as M26.  We use the rubber bands now and find that they require the least
amount of time of any other technique.  We use the bio-degradable in May and
they are gone by August or just after terminals have set.  With the wires, you
have to go back and retrieve them later which does take some time.  With
either vertical axe or tall spindle, pruning is at a minimum, so more time is
saved on pruning.  In my opinion, this is the most cost effective method of
all.  We are now in the process of going back to our vertical axe trees planted
8 x 14 and are converting them to tall spindle as we interplant new trees
between 4-5 year olds and doubling  density to 4 x 14.  If anyone is interested
in more detail feel free to contact me.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467