Thanks for sharing this information. While not necessarily practical in
the upper Midwest, it reveals a fascinating side to the relationship
between apples and people. It also shows how resilient Malus can be.

Bill

> I’ve found
reference to apples being grown commercially in Indonesia,

Thailand, Nicaragua, Honduras, the Philippines, Kenya, Uganda, Yemen,
> Egypt, and Malaysia. In 2005 Uganda did an extensive study
exploring the
> commercial opportunities for this high-value crop
that you can see at

http://www.icra-edu.org/page.cfm?pageid=publicenglishUganda2005

> Leaf-stripping in the tropics works on many varieties, and
I’ve seen
> Anna, Dorsett Golden, Ein Shemer,
Beverly Hills, Gordon, Tropic Beauty,
> Rome Beauty, Wealthy,
Winter Banana, Granny Smith, and a bunch of local
> varieties
being grown. This season I have sent White Winter Pearmain,

Williams’ Pride, Arkansas Black, Dixie Red Delight, and
Terry Winter to
> Rwanda and Sierra Leone for testing in a effort
to find better keeping
> apples. By the way, no matter what the
Thai claim, Anna was developed in
> 1959 at Kibbutz Ein Shemer in
Doar Na Shomron, Israel by Abba Stein as a
> cross between the
local cultivars Red Hadassiya (a plum-sized apple) and
> Golden
Delicious. The University of Florida also linked Abba Stein to

Dorsett Golden in 1980 in a rare bit of “apple
intrigue” that you can

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1980%20Vol.%2093/108-109%20(MILLER).pdf

> Now if you have hopes of stripping leaves and
getting two to three crops
> per year in Los Angeles or Dallas,
I’m sorry- it won’t work the same.

> In the tropics day length is pretty much constant and I believe
this is
> partly why they can do it. We get two crops from
several varieties here
> in Southern California, but the second
one is always stunted and inferior.
> You will see
“tropic highlands” mentioned a lot which
inferred that
> apple culture could only be done at higher,
cooler altitudes. However,
> trials in lowlands in the
Philippines near Manila and in Nigeria proved
> that they can get
the same production as in the highlands. The key seems
> to be
finding varieties that do well ripening in the heat, thus my trials
> with Williams’ Pride which blossoms and ripens
well and colors up
> wonderfully in our 100+ degree heat, and is
resistant to foliar disease to
> boot, a constant worry in hot,
humid conditions.

> In Ba’Kelalan,
Malaysia, they even have an Apple Festival where you can
> stay
at a guest house called the “Apple Lodge”.
See it in English at
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0yW7U_ddQ
and not in English (sorry,
> can’t figure the
language out) at
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqK-5wli1E The
apple industry was started
> by a retired pastor and missionary
who took over an orchard planted by the
> government as an
experiment and was failing badly, which he nursed back to

health. He traveled to Batu to see their culture methods and his brother

> imported some varieties used. You’ll see the
typical apple growth habit
> in the tropics- leggy, bushy growth
with lots of bare wood. There
> tourists are treated to apple pie
served on a banana leaf and other apple
> delicacies (they need
to bring in a cider press!)

> In Indonesia they use a
Chinese Crabapple rootstock that they value enough
> that it was
sent to the Netherlands for virus indexing (I’m hunting
down
> a source for it). In 1995 Raphael Assaf from the Volcani
Institute in
> Israel released a series of rootstocks that were
crosses between the local
> Hashabi seedlings and the English
Malling series dwarfing rootstocks that
> proved much more
productive in a hot climate. Almost all new orchards
> planted in
Israel are grown on this rootstock now, and I’ve had it

> imported into quarantine at the USDA-APHIS this year for
eventual trials
> here in Southern California and possible export
to the tropics.

> I became more involved in tropic
apple culture when I was approached by a
> ministry called
“Apples for Africa”
www.applesforafrica.com started by
> a woman who was working with
the innumerable widows and orphans in Rwanda.
> Their desperate
conditions broke her heart and she wanted to find a way
> for
them to have a home industry to help support themselves. In

conversation with her interpreter, he asked if they had apples in the USA,

> as he’d never had one. Apples have a high
value in the tropics, selling
> for $1 US each (an unimaginable
expense to most people). Growing apples
> on a small plot would
bring in much more money than a traditional crop
> like cassava
or yams. She asked about this at her local agricultural

extension in Oklahoma, and they told her apples
wouldn’t grow in the
> tropics. She finally
found our website, and has arranged for the import
> of apple
benchgrafts to Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Sudan this year and

Congo next season.

> If anyone has photos of apple
growing in the tropics, I’d appreciate if

you can email them to me, as they’re a bit hard to
find. Any cultural
> information is also appreciated.
>

> Kevin Hauser
> Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery

Riverside, Southern California

<r...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>>>Dear all,
belated reply to Dr. Chiranjit Parmar's email of 2/17/09 regarding
>> apples growing in Jawa, Indonesia that might be of interest of
apple
>> growers in temperate climates. I had the privilege of
visiting this
>> area, Batu Malang, approximately 100 km south
of Surabaya in the
>> eastern part of Jawa in 1991. It's a
short drive out of the city of
>> Malang (In the Indonesian
language, 'batu' means 'rock', so Batu
>> Malang means
Malang's rock or hill. You can locate Malang on most
>> maps
of Indonesia, but not Batu Malang because it's relatively

small). It was an amazing, eye opening experience. Batu Malang is,
>> or at least was in 1991, a relatively prosperous town whose
economy
>> is largely derived from growth of apples and
container nursery stock.
>> The area is at about 1500 metres
elevation, with an idyllic climate
>> of daytime highs in the
mid 20's and nighttime lows in the upper
>> teens, centigrade.
It appears that the trick to getting around the
>> absence of
winter chilling is to defoliate the trees by hand

immediately after harvest. This throws the trees into a pseudo
>> dormancy and new blossom buds break 6-8 weeks later. The area
as a
>> whole produces fresh apples 12 month of the year, with
individual
>> growers producing in Jan/Jul, Feb/ Aug,
Mar/Sept, ..... The apples
>> are exported to major cities
throughout Indonesia, not only on Jawa
>> but distant islands
such as Sulawesi. (We lived in Manado, North
>> Sulawesi from
Aug 90-92, and apples from Batu Malang were often
>> available
in some of the commercial grocery stores, but not local

markets.) There were four main varieties of apples being grown at
>> Batu Malang, one of which was called 'Biasa', which means
'common' or
>> 'nothing special', in the Indonesian language.
It was commonly used
>> for cooking and I was told that it was
a Red Rome, although it was a
>> nondescript yellowish color
rather than red. Anna was another
>> variety grown at Batu
Malang. Anna is believed to have originated in
>> Thailand,
and is noted for having a low chilling requirement. One of

the many unanswered questions that I have regarding growing apples in
>> the tropics is whether the defoliation 'trick' would work with
any or
>> most varieties, or whether the four varieties being
grown at Batu
>> Malang are unusual in that defoliation can be
substituted for winter
>> chilling on these varieties but
perhaps not others. Certainly, high
>> elevation is a factor.
Near Manado where my family lived in North
>> Sulawesi, we saw
apples being grown, albeit with very limited
>> success, at
the village of Tomohon, at an elevation of ~1200 meters.
was also informed that apples were being grown at high elevations
>> on the Island of Irian Jaya, in the easternmost part of
Indonesia.
>> Although growing apples in the tropics was a
surprise to me, and
>> probably would be to most pomologists,
it has been known long enough
>> that the Indonsesian Ministry
of Agiculture had a published handbook
>> on methods of apple
cultivation that I was able to obtain from the
>> Batu Malang
Research Station in 1992. There is also a Government

Research Station at Batu Malang, with a research orchard. There I
>> learned that defoliation does not work on stone fruits, but is
being
>> tried on several other temperate climate fruits.
>> Jim Rahe
>>
>> --

Annie's Orchard
>> 4092-248th Street

Aldergrove, B.C. V4W 1B5
>> 604-856-3041

the Virtual Orchard
>> <http://www.virtualorchard.net>
and managed by Win Cowgill and Jon
>> Clements
<webmas...@virtualorchard.net>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent

>> "official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes
no responsibility for

<webmas...@virtualorchard.net>.

> Apple-Crop is
not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent

"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no
responsibility for
> the content.

Bill Shoemaker

University of Illinois