That sounds like a great project Dave. If you have success implementing
it, could you share the results with us?

Bill Shoemaker,
University of Illinois

> Thanks to all of you who
responded to my
> query about copper. I was actually looking for

> an OMRI approved product that specifically was

labeled for summer diseases on apples, or that at
> least allowed
such applications. Most coppers
> labeled for apples specify a
green tip spray for
> fire blight, blossom sprays for fire
blight, and
> then "sprays before fall rains" for
anthracnose
> and other diseases. I suppose that a July
> application could be construed as being "before

fall rains," but our NY regulators might not buy
> that.
(Yes, it's true that NY regulators found
> banking was too
difficult to understand, but they
> still think that they can
understand and regulate
> pesticides more effectively than the US
EPA!)
> Anyway, my objective is to test a
> combination
of a low rate of Liquid Lime Sulfur
> (1 qt/100 gal of dilute
spray) combined with a
> low rate of copper to see if we can get

> reasonable control of both summer fruit rots
> (mostly
black rot, Botryosphaeria obtusa, in our
> area) and the sooty
blotch and flyspeck complex.
> I have tested the low rate of
Liquid Lime Sulfur
> (LLS) several times in previous years and it

> seems to work quite well for flyspeck and sooty

blotch. However, LLS did not control fruit rots
> and at higher
rates it may have even stimulated
> fruit rots, perhaps by
injuring cells that can
> then be invaded by Botryosphaeria.
> I've tested the LLS/copper combination
> before using a
non-OMRI-approved copper and it
> did not cause any more harm to
the fruit that one
> might expect from copper sprays. However, we
did
> not have good disease pressure in that trial, so

I'm hoping to repeat it this summer.

fungicides for organic apples?

>>Dave,
>>
>>Here is a possibility with
summer labeling: Agri
>>Star® Basic Copper 53 (Albaugh,
Inc./Agri Star)

>>http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0BO001.pdf

<http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld0BO001.pdf>

>>It is registered for summer use on apples and is also listed
with OMRI.

>>OMRI says: Basic Copper 53,
Classification:
>>"When used for plant disease control
must be
>>used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of
>>copper in the soil. May be used as an algicide,
>>insecticide, or disease control if the
>>requirements of 205.206(e) are met, which
>>requires
the use of preventative, mechanical,
>>physical, and other
pest, weed, and disease
>>management practices".
>>
>>The contact listed with OMRI is: Albaugh, Inc.:
Mark Blume, Ph:
>> 515-964-9444.
>>
>>Summer diseases on the CDMS-posted Basic Copper
>>53
label include Brooks spot, sooty blotch and
>>bitter rot. The
label warns about copper injury
>>and calls for different
rates and different
>>amounts of lime to be added to the mix
at
>>different times of the season.
>>
>>We tested a product with the same name and
>>similar
label wording but from a different
>>distributor in 1995. The
reference for that
>>report is Fungicide and Nematicide Tests,
Vol.
>>51:31-32 (1996). "Summer disease control by
>>copper formulations and fungicide mixtures on
>>Nittany apple, 1995".
>>
>>Our
interest in testing this was for summer
>>disease control on
processing apples, where
>>russet isn't as much of a concern
as for fresh
>>market. We used Basic Copper "53" 2
lb/A from
>>greentip- petal fall, then Basic Copper
"53" 4
>>lb/A + Hydrated Lime 12 lb/A (first-fourth

>>covers) followed by Basic Copper "53" 4 lb/A +
>>Hydrated Lime 8 lb/A (fifth and sixth covers).
>>Treatments were applied airblast to large trees
>>at
100 gal/A.

>>That year we had one of the
heaviest bitter rot
>>tests we've ever had. We got decent
bitter rot
>>control, better than a schedule involving
>>Polyram 80DF 3 lb/A + Ziram 3 lb/A through
>>second
cover then Captan 50W 3 lb + Ziram 76DF 3
>>lb/A, third to
sixth covers. The copper schedule
>>was weak on flyspeck
(which has been true with
>>other coppers in other tests). In
our test, 19
>>wetting periods at 70 F or warmer occurred from

>>mid-May to mid-August contributed to the heavy
>>summer disease pressure. Cumulative wetting
>>hours
recorded starting 10 days after petal fall
>>reached 250 on 26
Jun at the beginning of an
>>84-hr wetting period, then six
inches of rain
>>and 142 more wetting hours between 22 and 30

>>June. We got a lot of fruit russet from the full
>>season copper schedule: only 7% of the fruit
>>made
the USDA Extra Fancy / Fancy grades due to
>>russetting.
>>
>>I can send label and report files to anyone who

>>requests them at my e-mail address:
>>ksyo...@vt.edu <mailto:ksyo...@vt.edu>
>>
>>Keith
>>
>>Keith S. Yoder, Research and
Extension Tree Fruit Pathologist

>>Virginia
Tech AREC, 595 Laurel Grove Rd., Winchester, VA 22602

>>Tel: 540-869-2560 Ext. 21
>>
>>________________________________

Rosenberger
>>Sent: Tue 2009-05-12 22:30
>>To:
apple-crop@virtualorchard.net
>>Subject: Apple-Crop: copper
fungicides for organic apples?

>>Can anyone point me to a copper fungicide that is
OMRI approved for
>>organic farmers AND that also has a US EPA
label that allows repeated
>>applications to apples during
summer. I know that I should be able
>>to find this info on
the OMRI web-site, but I found that site
>>extremely confusing
when I tried it a year or two ago.
>>--
>>**************************************************************

>>Dave Rosenberger
>>Professor of Plant Pathology
Office: 845-691-7231
>>Cornell University's Hudson Valley Lab
Fax: 845-691-2719
>>P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528 Cell:
845-594-3060

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/faculty/rosenberger/

Virtual Orchard
<webmas...@virtualorchard.net>.

>>Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not
represent
>>"official" opinions and the Virtual
Orchard takes no responsibility for
>>the content.

filename="FN95NIT.doc"

>>Attachment
converted: davidrosenberger:FN95NIT.doc (WDBN/«IC») (000749D3)

name="Basic Copper 53.pdf"
>> filename="Basic Copper 53.pdf"
>>
>>Attachment converted: davidrosenberger:Basic
>>Copper 53.pdf (PDF /«IC») (000749D4)
>

> --

Dave Rosenberger
> Professor of Plant Pathology Office:
845-691-7231
> Cornell University's Hudson Valley Lab Fax:
845-691-2719
> P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528 Cell:
845-594-3060

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/faculty/rosenberger/