From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:apple-c...@virtualorchard.net]
On Behalf Of Yoder, Keith
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:21 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: Apple-Crop: Mystery apple pix posted

Jerry and all,

No one has gotten the correct answer so far.

I have posted some new images of the mystery apple near the top of my
disease update web site at:
http://arecs.vaes.vt.edu/arec.cfm?webname=winchester&section=about_us&subsec
tion=12368&PID=ksyoder

This apple was discovered in Virginia in the 1800s. Although I picked
Tuesday, it was slightly overripe and may have been near optimum 2-3 weeks
ago. The color is like a Stayman, and it seems to have more red color than
descriptions of it indicate. I know I have eaten it as ripe when it had much
less red color than this.

Some people don't want me to tell them what it is yet, so I may add some
clues as we go along. It does come up with a Google search using its name
and "apple" so I'm tying to avoid certain descriptive keywords at this
point.

Keith S. Yoder
Research and Extension Tree Fruit Pathologist
Virginia Tech AREC
595 Laurel Grove Rd.
Winchester, VA 22602