G'day and the New Year's greeting to one and all!

I have sent along information about our 2010 Upper Hudson / Champlain Commercial Tree Fruit School, which is taking place in Lake George, NY on February 25. We invite the attendance of friends and associates from nearby Quebec, VT, and elsewhere in the region. We share similar short season, high latitude, cold clime production parameters -- and their unique issues and challenges!

Our Fruit School is intended for experience individuals who are focused on commercial apple production yet it is also appropriate to new apple growers. Approximately 3.0 NY or VT pesticide applicator Recertification Credits will be available to eligible persons who present proper identification at check in. T

Lake George and the Lake Champlain Basin are brilliant in winter! So come Explore!

We enjoy seeing new faces at our meeting and rekindling standing acquaintances.

Cheers. Kevin Iungerman

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CORNELL UNIVERSITY COOPERATIVE EXTENSION'S
NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK COMMERCIAL FRUIT PROGRAM PRESENTS THE

2010 UPPER HUDSON / CHAMPLAIN COMMERCIAL TREE-FRUIT SCHOOL

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2010

FORT WILLIAM HENRY HOTEL & CONFERENCE CENTER
LAKE GEORGE, NY  (48 Canada Street - Route 9, between Northway Exits 21 & 22)

- PROGRAM AGENDA - Morning Portion. (First Pesticide Applicator Program) -

7:30 - 8:30 Program & DEC Sign-In, & Late Registration - Visit With Friends & Vendors, Coffee

8:30            Welcome, Introductory Remarks, Announcements.
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate, Northeastern NY Area Fruit Program.

8:45 - 9:05 Research to Evaluate the Economic Implications of Managed Apple Varieties Using Consumer Experiments.
                Dr. Brad Rickard, Dept. Applied Econ & Management Cornell.

9:10 - 9:30 Resistance To Strobilurin Fungicides In The Apple Scab Pathogen Venturia inequalis in MI and Ontario. Dr. George Sundin, Dept. Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, East Lansing.

9:30 - 10:05    Dealing With Apple Scab When The Deck Is Stacked Against You.
Dr. Dave Rosenberger, Dept. Plant Pathology, Cornell NYSAES, Highland.

10:05 - 10:35   Morning Stretch and Break. Visit Trade Exhibitions.

10:40 - 11:20   Quite A Few Things About Fireblight.
Dr. George Sundin, Dept. Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, East Lansing.

11:25-11:55     Fruit Quality, NAA & Retain Stop-Drop Research with Honeycrisp.
Dr. Terence Robinson, Dept. Horticulture, Cornell NYSAES, Geneva.

12:00 - 1:15 Luncheon - Visit Friends & Trade Exhibitions. (Exhibitions close after lunch)

- PROGRAM AGENDA - Afternoon Portion. (Second Pesticide Applicator Program) -

1:15 - 1:45     Developing And Validating A Real-Time Apple IPM Website For NY.
                Dr. Art Agnello, Dept. Entomology, Cornell NYSAES, Geneva.

1:45 - 2:15     Field Testing NY's Web-Based Apple IPM Strategies.
                Dr. Harvey Reissig, Dept. Entomology, Cornell NYSAES, Geneva.

2:15 - 3:00     Have We Reached The Apple Tipping Point? If So, Now What?
                Mr. Jim Allen NY Apple Association.

                                       Afternoon Stretch

3:10 - 3:35     Introducing Automation Technology to Boost Orchard Efficiency.
Dr. Terence Robinson, Dept. Horticulture, Cornell NYSAES, Geneva.

3:40 - 4:10 Introduction to "GAPS" Certification - Two Direct Market Farms Relate Their Experiences. Kevin Iungerman, CCE NENYF. Shannon Rulfs, Rolfs' Farm & Market, Peru; Peter TenEyck, Indian Ladder Farm,
                Altamont.

4:10 - 4:40 The Challenge Of Mite Management Using Reduced Risk Insect Pest Management.
                Peter Jentsch, Dept. Entomology, Cornell NYSAES, Highland.

Program Ends. Eligible Persons Pick-up Pesticide Credits Letter  - Home Safely!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You may register for the 2009 Tree Fruit School independently or in conjunction with Annual Enrollment in Cornell University Extension's Northeast NY Commercial Fruit Program.

School registration fees vary on the basis of Annual Fruit Program Enrollment status.
($25 "Active", $45 "Basic", or $60 "Not presently enrolled").
Request Program Enrollment Information details from Nancy Kiuber at n...@cornell.edu.

Pre-registration payment is required by end of day, Monday, February 22, 2010. Afterwards, a $10.00 late fee will apply, and meals and breaks may not be guaranteed.

Approximately 3.0 NY and VT Pesticide Applicator Recertification credits will be available for our program.

Yes! Exhibitor space is available! Vendor inquiries are welcome. Please contact Nancy.

Lodging or Other Questions? Contact Nancy Kiuber at n...@cornell.edu or by phone at (518) 885-8995.
--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell University Cooperative Extension's Northeast NY Commercial Fruit Program

Providing Equal Opportunity Commercial Tree Fruit and Grape Research, Education and Programming with the Support of the Farmers and Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Saratoga, and Washington Counties, and Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Science.

Serving NY's Upper Hudson and Champlain Region - Home to Premium Cold Hardy Orchard and Vineyard Fruit, Including: McIntosh, Honeycrisp, and Sweetango Apples, and Marquette and LaCrescent Grapes!

"Suggestions? Comments? Ideas? Possibilities begin with people sharing ideas and working together."