A customer at our farm retail store today related that a recent visitor from England told him that he could no longer buy his favorite apple variety in England, Cox Orange Pippin. It was his understanding, he said, that commercial growers in England were restricted to growing a certain few varieties. He thought this was a restriction related to England's membership in the European Union. I would be quite surprised to learn that this is true, but have been unsuccessful with my Google search so far. Surely some
Apple Crop readers can clear the confusion?

David Kollas
Kollas Orchard
Tolland, CT, USA