1) From The Dr. Oz Show

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/three-dangerous-food-toxins?page=2#copy
<http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/three-dangerous-food-toxins?page=2#copy>

"Pesticides

Even though we always hear about the benefits of organic food, one-third
of all fruits and vegetables sold in this country are still covered in
pesticides. These poisons, which are intended to kill pests, can also
hurt us. Research shows that some of them - called neurotoxins - can
harm our brains and nervous systems. One recent study found that
children with a high level of a certain pesticide had an increased
chance of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and
developmental disorders similar to autism. Other pesticides, which mimic
hormone activity, can possibly reduce fertility. And scientists recently
discovered that exposure to one of the most common weed killers
increased weight gain in animals by 10%.

Your Safety Strategy

A Seattle study demonstrates how going organic can immediately affect
our health. Researchers tested the urine of a group of typical suburban
kids and found pesticide levels above those considered safe by the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Then they switched the kids to
organic versions of the same foods, and the pesticide level in their
urine dropped overnight and stayed low. When the children were returned
to their regular diets, their pesticide levels shot right back up above
the EPA safety limits.

*

*         Go organic when it counts. Save your money for the fruits and
vegetables most likely to contain pesticides (check out our guide to
When to Go Organic [LINK
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/when-go-organic]) and to those you eat
frequently. As a general rule, fruits and vegetables with thicker rinds
such as bananas, oranges, and avocados will have lower levels of
pesticides than those with more permeable skin such as potatoes and
strawberries.

*         Eat seasonal and local produce, which will have a lower
pesticide level, because it does not have to travel far to get to your
table. "

2) From the Dr. Oz link included in blurb above:

*         People always ask whether buying organic is healthier, and the
answer is yes. Eating organic protects you from potentially harmful
chemicals such as pesticides. But going green is rarely cheap, and it's
not always essential, which is why we've created 3 simple rules for when
you should spend your green to go green and when to save your cash with
conventional foods.

*         1. When the skin is thin. Fruits and vegetables with a thin
skin that is difficult to remove or that you typically eat should
definitely be organic. They have high levels of pesticides even after
washing

*         Go organic: apples, peaches, strawberries, raspberries,
blueberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes, pears, nectarines, peppers,
celery, potatoes, and carrots

3) More info on the Seattle study

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/349263_pesticide30.html

Glen Koehler
University of Maine Cooperative Extension
Pest Management Office
491 College Avenue, Orono, ME  04473
Tel:  207-581-3882
Email:  gkoeh...@umext.maine.edu