From: Kevin A. Iungerman [mailto:k...@cornell.edu]
Sent: April 9, 2010 2:28 PM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: RE: Apple-Crop: sickness in the Pioneer Mac block

Larry,

Can you let us know the age of those Northern Spy at the time you saw
the situation described?  It would be useful to know this tree age was
specified in the MI example, and figures prominently in Rosenberger's
cited Marshall Mac situation in New York and New England.  Thanks.

Kevin Iungerman

Greetings,

I had what sounds to be the exact same problem a number of years ago
with Northern Spy on M-26. The most vigorous trees were the most
seriously affected. We had a heavy crop the year before and a long wet
fall. The tops had long sunken, purplish lesions, and they died from the
tops down. The bottom foot above the union was still good in most cases.
Some tree I pulled out and the rest I cut off below the lowest lesion.
Within three years I had the trees back almost as large as they were. I
shouldn't have pulled the others in hindsight.  It affected about
fifteen to twenty percent of the trees in the block.

We had some isolates taken, and as I recall it was identified as an
aerial version of Phytophora. No one locally had heard tell of this
organism causing symptoms above the crown. This block was on well
drained, gravelly loam soil, so there was no water ponding or imperfect
drainage.

The only good news is that the trees recovered and it hasn't been back
since in that block, although I do see it occasionally in other blocks
of different varieties and rootstocks. I saw some on Idared on MM-111
that were at least 25 years old recently.

Mark, I am sure I still have some pictures that I could send you for
comparison if you like.

Regards,

Larry Lutz

Nova Scotia