A Facebook friend posted with concern the article on OPs. In response I paraphrased Richard's bragging paragraph. The following comment thanked me for the info with the note "I wondered why apples were not on the list." So with this limited evidence, I think the positive approach might work -- except it looks like this controversy may quickly be forgotten.

John Henderson
Sage Hen Farm
Lodi, NY