Rye - your picture shows a system that is highly regimented - excessively so
for fruit production - if you want to do it to admire and enjoy, go ahead - be
aware that many of these highly manipulated systems use Golden Delicious or
some other variety with an agreeable growth habit - try to do that with
Northern Spy or somesuch and you will experience frustration -

otherwise, give yourself plenty of room and work with the tree - much better
for fruit production -