Hello Maurice and all

Consider that we are growing apple trees in very good conditions of soil
climate and light (parallel 45°) and that the aim of the game is to adapt the
training system to the conditions you get for your orchard

1/ In the original concept we do not give a pyramidal shape, the thickness
should be 1/2 meter wide (top to bottom) at beginning and then increase
slightly with age. Our oldest orchard remains below a meter wide. This is very
thin !

2/ That's the key point. The pruning date has to be fine tuned to match the
goal (making what we call "brindilles" that's the small shoot 15 - 20cm long,
crowned with a flower bud), on our orchard with all varieties/rootstocks and
situations we are pruning on a 10 days period.
We are not very confident with conversions.

3/Ok

4/Ok, but it comes when it comes, no relation with cosmology... (yet) ;-))

5/ yes that's the explanation from Louis Lorette who did a theorization of
summer pruning in early 20th. In our case I am afraid that we did a more
empirical work, designing trials to find the best pruning date in our
conditions. The 10 leaves date, seems to work for France.

6/ The flat shape gives all fruit an homogeneous exposition to light. We have
less sunburn/white faces in some varieties (granny).

7/ not really in our conditions, we prune each year the same place/thickness

8/ we are planting 3.5m between rows and 1m (single axis) or 1m50 (bi axe
trees) or 2m (palmettes) on the row. The height (for M9 stocks) of the row is
topped mechanically at 3m5, this should be linked with the "apple crop"
discussion on tree row space height (parallel 45°). Of course we do have trial
with higher density and lower density. The more dense the higher early crop,
the higher the cost, but full crop potential remains identical when the hedge
row if fully established.

9/ yes but we do not encourage conversion. More to discuss if wishes come

10/ that's clever of course but we are in an area with a high fireblight
pressure, we never saw an increase of fireblight infection following mechanical
pruning. More to discuss if wishes

11/ yes sure

12/ yes could be (depends on the initial orchard), but should be unbearable for
a smart orchardist who loves its trees... grown to respect trees, their natural
behavior...

13/ yes our main efforts at the moment are aiming at adapting mechanical
thinning to the orchard, "darwin" a German device, works very well in this
training system. More to discuss on this point

14/ yes, the later you apply mechanical thinning the more you can get strips
marks on the fruits. More to discuss on this

15/ I would not say that. When you make trials comparing training system, the
best one is the one that you are supporting, training the best... So the answer
is difficult.
To mention drawbacks, considering  crop yield I would say identical, size
slightly lower, harvest date 5 days later. Some varieties adapt well, some not.
Of course type 4 varieties (granny) suits well and type1 varieties like spurs
of red delicious are more difficult to adapt (but possible). Adapting
variety/stock to the conditions is the same burden compared to other training
systems.

16/ the better fruit exposition gives more homogeneous color fruit. No fruit
hidden inside the canopy

17/ yes correct, this does not seem coherent with fruit exposition but this is
measured in our conditions.

18/ labor : standard pruning in our condition is about 200h per
hectare(10000m²) mechanical pruning is 2h per ha, one year over you have to
make hand pruning in the "mur fruitier" for forgotten shoots 50h per ha. The
main effect on work is on harvest efficiency in our condition an average picker
man harvests 150kg per hour in central leader and 200kg per hour in "mur
fruitier" due to easier fruit access.

In our mind the concept is devoted at producing average quality grade fruit for
export standards, not best quality, just standard quality with average size,
very regular, with less picking phases since all fruit is coming from the same
type of wood/exposition. The goal is to match the requisites : firmness, size,
chemical restrictions... Labor quantity is one thing but labor quality is
another one. At the moment, we do need such skill for our pruners (central
leader) that it is becoming difficult to find the right people to do the job.
The "market share" in new plantings in France for the "mur fruitier" can be
evaluated to 5% though we do not have clear data on this point. To make the job
you need at least a pruning machine, the entry ticket is expensive so you have
to share a pruning machine or build a 10 ha bloc... ad libitum

Best regards

Jean Marc Jourdain