Re: [apple-crop] Best electric fencing materials - DeerDave, thanks so much the
feedback.  It gives a more complete picture.  The university folks on this
forum really provide thoughtful responses.  You guys don't get near the credit
you deserve.

The overall consensus seems to favor an 8' woven wire fence.  Per all the
advice on this forum, I think I may go with an 8' fence on the new section.
However, I'm still going to try electric fence.  With the fence that's already
there,  it's relatively little expense to add height to it and electrify it.

I don't think I have quite as much deer pressure as a lot of folks have
mentioned here.  The adjacent field is leased for deer hunting and hunters
blast away during deer season.  There is also an orchard 3 miles away which
doesn't have any deer fence whatever.

For me, the advantage of an electric fence is I think I can keep the costs
significantly less than would be expected vs. a full fledged woven wire fence.
Because most of the fence would simply require extending the height, most of
the cost is extending the T-posts, the charger, and the wire/string.  I already
have a bunch of wooden posts I bought cheap a couple years ago for the new
fence.

There isn't a problem with trees overhanging the property.  The area I'm
fencing is bordered on two sides by county roads and one one side by a neighbor
who keeps the fence row  fairly clean.  The side with the new fence has no
trees.

Spraying fence rows is something to consider.  I figure I'll probably have to
spray 3X/season on the new fencing, and once/season on the existing fence,
since the weeds have to grow taller than the woven wire (4'+) to reach the
electric fence on top of the existing fence.

I'm thinking I won't have as much erosion problems you mentioned, due to less
overall spraying and flatter ground.

All in all, if I had to build all the fence from scratch I'd probably go with
an 8' woven wire, but since I've already got two thirds of the fence in place,
I'm going to try to go the cheaper route.

Bill,

Thanks for the idea on the pvc.  I will check into it, and I hear you on the
zip ties.  Based upon all the feedback, I may try to extend the T-posts more
than couple feet.  If I could extend them 3', that would give me 7 to 7&1/2'
height on the existing fence.  That said, I'm not sure I could trust zip ties
for that much extension.  I had planned to go with "clamp tite" wire clamps
which may better handle a 3' extension.

As an FYI, I've had very good success with the "clamp tite" tool.  In my
opinion no farmer should be without one.

Once you buy the tool, the "clamps" are very inexpensive and last forever.  So
far, I've used their SS wire (which is more expensive) but I think thin
galvanized electric fence wire would work just as well, and would make the
clamps essentially free.

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Thanks for all your advice, you've been a big help, helping me think this
through.

Many thanks to all who have posted their experience with deer fencing.

May you all enjoy your family/loved ones this time of year.

Mark