We have similar mouse concerns with much forest nearby and stonewalls. I've
found not much beats good orchard sanitation. Keeping row middles mowed and
tree rows clean. We rake all debris out from under trees in fall and remove
any root suckers. Mice need a place to hide, they love weeds and leaf
litter. Of course any dropped fruit or trash of any kind needs to be kept
out of orchard. Owls, hawks, coyotes, and wild cats seem to also enjoy
hunting where there are few places for mice to find cover.

Mo Tougas
Tougas Family Farm
Northborough, MA

2012/3/24 Alberto Da Silva Alvares Dos Santos <asan...@utad.pt>

>  Hi All !
> Fruit growers in this region often have problems with field mice (Microtus
> lusitanicus), which seriously damage the roots of the trees. In an attempt
> to control this pest using biological means:
> 1 • The presence of wild ferrets may be a good method, but we need know
> how to create safe havens for them. Which size (diameter) should be a
> plastic tube to be used as protection against its predators?
> 2 • Are there any other effective biological means of struggle against
> field mice?
> Sincerely,
>
> Alberto Santos
> Agronomy Departament
> University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (UTAD)
> Tel.: + 351 259 350 447

Maurice Tougas
Tougas Family Farm
Northborough,MA 01532