I use a product called Bobbex.  From a trial which seemed objective,
it out-performed other deer repellant products.

This product is recommended only for use on non-bearing trees, as it
supposedly imparts an off-flavor to the fruit, which was actually a
selling point for me.  Anything that lasts so long as to render
sprayed fruit inedible must last a long time.

I've been using it for the last three years on new plantings with good
success.  My experience so far with it is that deer won't eat sprayed
foliage, but will eat any new growth unsprayed.

At their recommended mix, Bobbex is about 1/2 price for finished spray
compared to the liquid fence mentioned above.  A 5 gallon pail costs
about $200 online.

I've been mixing it at 1/2 of recommended strength and still getting
good protection as long as new growth is covered.

I use it on new trees during the rutting season and it also seems to
help reduce rutting.

We have plans to put an electric fence up in the near future which of
course is the only true protection.

Mark Angermayer
Tubby Fruits