Anyone know an easy way to excise malus seeds, in my efforts to breed next
generations of my  Honey Crisp crosses I always have about half of my collected
seeds are excised (split) and embryo are easy to remove. (germination rate of
embryos removed from seed coat are much higher, close to 90% while unexcised
seeds is  about 15%) The best way so far is to soak the seed(after
statification) and drag the seed gently accross a piece of sandpaper, rubbing
the side of the seed where the hilum is located, then prying it apart with
fingernails. this a very slow tedious procedure and may even contaminate the
embryo. With hundreds of seed to excise and poor eyesight this is a most
daunting task. I have googled this but nothing comes up, any ideas?   Lee
Elliott, Cider Hill Nursery, Winchester, Illinois