I have a small (3 acres) established orchard on M7 that I have worked for
about 10 years.  I have some new land about 15 miles away that I have began
planting a new orchard using the Tall Spindle method.  I only have about
one acre planted now, but it will end up being about 5 acres of apples as
PYO.  I also have peaches and blackberries.

I have been planning on purchasing a new airblast sprayer for the new
orchard in the future so that I don't have to haul it and my tractor back
and forth from each place.  And it is hard to get good spray timing when
the sprayer is at the other orchard.

However, do I need an airblast with the tall spindle system?  With the M7
trees and bigger you need the air to push through the tree to ensure good
coverage, but with the M9s the canopy is so much smaller.  Could you not
use a tower type sprayer with-out the airblast? Drift would be greatly
reduced (a big deal with organic farms on surrounding my property), Tractor
requirements would be less allowing for tighter row spacing, and obviously
the cost would be less.

What would be the down side? Poor coverage of the underside of the leaves
due to no swirling air?  Droplet size too large?

Thanks

Tatum Stewart
Stewart Orchard
Ashland City and Nashville, TN