A new issue of the Illinois Fruit and Vegetable News (Volume 21, number 10) has
been posted. To reach the home page for the Illinois Fruit and Vegetable News
(with links to all issues and additional resources), use the following link:
For direct access to issue 21:10, use the following link:
In This Issue:
(listings for beginning and established growers)
Regional Reports<https://ipm.illinois.edu/ifvn/contents.php#reports> (from
southern and western Illinois, with notes on plasticulture strawberries, high
tunnel management, and more)
Fruit Production and Pest
Management<https://ipm.illinois.edu/ifvn/contents.php#fruit> (storing apples
for maximum quality)
University of Illinois Extension educators and specialists in fruit and
vegetable production and pest
Check the Illinois SARE calendar for a full list of programs and links for
http://illinoissare.org/ and http://illinoissare.org/calendar.php
Also see the University of Illinois Extension Local Food Systems and Small
Farms Team's web site at:
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/smallfarm/ and their calendar of events at
* Steam Sterilization Demonstration, October 28, 2015. 1:00 p.m. at the
farm of Brad Halbrook, Meadowbrook Organic Farm, Shelbyville, IL. Steam has
been used for over a century to help reduce insect, weed and disease pests in
soil. It can be very effective, especially for high tunnel and organic growers.
Jeff Kindhart, senior research specialist at the U of I Dixon Springs Ag Center
will lead the demonstration and discussion. For more information and to
* Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable, and Farm Market EXPO, December 8-10, 2015.
Grand Rapids, Michigan. See http://www.glexpo.com/.
* Illiana Vegetable Growers Conference, January 5, 2016. Schererville,
Indiana. More details to come.
* Illinois Specialty Crops, Agritourism, ad Organics Conference, January
6-8, 2016. At the Crowne Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, Springfield, IL.
More to come in future issues of this newsletter ... for now, save the date.
* Also save the dates for several regional programs ...
* January 28, 2016: Horseradish Conference at Collinsville, IL
* February 2 and 3, 2016: Tree Fruit Schools at Mt. Vernon and Hardin,
* February 9-10, 2016: Gateway Small Fruit and Vegetable Conference,
* February 25, 2016: Stateline (IL-WI) Fruit and Vegetable Conference,
Professor and Extension Entomologist
SARE PDP Program Coordinator
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois
apple-crop mailing list