Control: retitle -1 aptitude: Removal of thousands of packages on Microknoppix
Control: tag -1 + moreinfo

Hi Anton,

Anton Wessel wrote:
> Package: aptitude
> Version: 0.8.13 @ Microknoppix

Which package version exactly?

> When downloading and installing a few packages, aptitude 0.8.13 @
> Microknoppix had removed thousend and more packages -- even with option
> "--save-resolver".

If they're marked as "automatically installed" and there's no
dependency on them anymore, aptitude will do that. (And apt would by
default show a huge "apt autoremove" list.)

>From my mind: --save-resolver makes aptitude to prefer keeping
packages rather not updated instead of removing conflicting packages
in case of dependency conflicts. (I must admit the wording "it will
never remove a package" in the man page might be suboptimal. It is
meant to be in the context of the beginning of the paragraph which
says "When package dependency problems are encountered".)

But with such few details (more or less none), there's no chance to
track the real reason down, especially not if it's a bug or just an
unlucky set of "automatically installed" flags.

Were you able to stop before this happened? Would it still happen if
you start aptitude again? If that's the case, please run

  aptitude-create-state-bundle /tmp/large-package-removal-0.8.13-microknoppix

(or similar, the file name actually doesn't matter) and send the
resulting file to us. If it's too large for e-mail, please try to
upload it somewhere and send the link.

The file will contain all subscribed package lists as well as the
state of all installed packages as aptitude seems them. So if you
consider these to be too personal information, feel free to just send
the file or link to me and feel free to encrypt it with PGP for one of
my PGP keys shown below. (The 4096 bits key is also available in the
file /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg if the package
debian-keyring is installed.)

                Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <a...@debian.org>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin