aptitude search "?description(1234)"
shows the progress of a filterung process. So
I waited 5 minutes to the expected output.

aptitude markauto 1234 gives also a result after 5 minutes.

On the other hand lz4 decompresses all packagefiles together in a second !

Yes, but aptitude (through libapt) probably has to do it for every
package as it's being processed.

Maybe this could be avoided in the command line, but not in curses,
which is probably the main mode of aptitude.  Or otherwise, those files
be uncompressed for all the time during the operation of the aptitude,
which kind of defeats the purpose of that option if one uses aptitude
frequently.

In any case, from what I can see, there's no way to control this using
the libapt API.

So we could maybe issue a warning if this option is detected, but I
think that there's not much else that we can do as things stand.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montez...@gmail.com>