On 08/02/18 20:29, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Control: tag -1 + confirmed
>
> Hi,
>
> OmegaPhil wrote:
>> I use aptitude as a Devuan user, but with vanilla aptitude it is not
>> possible to download changelogs for packages due to the hardcoded origin
>> check in generic/apt/pkg_changelog.cc:check_valid_origin:
>>
>> https://sources.debian.org/src/aptitude/0.8.10-6/src/generic/apt/pkg_changelog.cc/#L691
>>
>> Please can the whitelist be user-configurable?
>
> We should at least make this more flexible. Not sure, what's the best
> way.
>
> There are though plans to further shrink the diff to Ubuntu by making
> more stuff vendor-dependent.
>
> And currently Ubuntu patches exactly these lines of code (plus more
> related lines):
> https://patches.ubuntu.com/a/aptitude/aptitude_0.8.10-6ubuntu1.patch

Thanks for getting back so quickly - ah, that figures. I have an awful
hack locally
(https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-project/uploads/15e61354c9588024eabc0a6fc4a3faaa/allow-devuan-repo-changelog-source-v2.patch
, now it has to fall back to the Label to check in the Devuan case).

>> For reference currently the recommended Devuan repo has no Origin
>> specified (it used to),
>
> That's a really bad decision. Why have they done it? They don't gain
> anything from it except breaking their infrastructure and annoying
> their users.
>
>> but talking on IRC it sounds like they will fix this if aptitude is
>> changed to allow non-Debian repos as a valid source.
>
> Huh? That sounds a lot like extortion. If it was meant like that, they
> won't get any farther — neither here nor anywhere else.
>
>     Regards, Axel (running Debian Unstable with sysvinit or openrc)

Yes, they didn't think it was a notable issue. Devuan is also very busy
getting Ascii out the door, so its probably just down to being too busy.