On Tuesday, 5 April 2016, Rong Pan (ropan) wrote:

> Rasool,
>
> Thanks for your detailed review. Please see the comments below and a new
> draft has been posted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rong
>
> >For new drop_prob calculation, how can drop_prob_ be just a division of
> >queue lengths?
> >     drop_prob_(i)=queue_.byte_length(i)/max(queue_.byte_length(i))

> two sfq queues. One flow is an elephant flow and one flow is mice flow. Total
> latency is caused by the elephant flow. The above equation makes sure that
> the mice flow (whose queue length is zero, or very small amount) won¹t be
> dropped.
> Besides, since it is mice flow, it would be hard to measure its departure rate
> as the queue would never build up.qdelay

Thank you for the explanation. I found section 4.6 SFQ-PIE in [*] is clearer
than in the draft. I hope SFQ paragraph of PIE draft becomes a little clearer.
[*] http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DOCSIS-AQM_May2014.pdf

> >5) In pages 23 and 24,
> >
> >>       //If the queue has been idle for a while, turn off PIE
> >>       //reset counters when accessing the queue after some idle
> >>       //period if PIE was active before
> >>       if ( PIE->drop_prob_ == 0 && PIE->qdelay_old_ == 0
> >>            && queue_.byte_length() == 0) {
> >>            PIE->active_ = INACTIVE;
> >
> >According to section 5.3 (Turning PIE on and off), the condition of
> >deactivating PIE should be:
> >
> >if (PIE->drop_prob_ == 0 and current_qdelay < QDELAY_REF/2 and
> >      PIE->qdelay_old_ < QDELAY_REF/2) {

I am unsure whether section 5.3 is correct or the old code (in
draft-ietf-aqm-pie-05.txt) with queue_.byte_length() == 0 was correct. In my
PIE implementation, I found that without using queue_.byte_length() == 0,  PIE
turns off after a very short period and causes queue delay to become
uncontrolled until queue length exceeds 1/3 drop-tail size. I put
queue_.byte_length() == 0 condition and I got better results.

Regards,
Rasool