On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Ken Martwick wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a Linux program (probably a daemon) to
> allow use of the ridiculous Winmodem I am saddled with?  I am
> considering "updating" my Linux from the fine 1.2.13 (no ELF!) kernel.

Hi, Ken. It would help if you can find out what sort of winmodem it is. At
the moment it seems that there are Linux winmodem drivers available for
only 2 types: those with Lucent chips, and PCTel winmodems. I guess you
will almost certainly need to "update" to a more recent kernel to use
them!

If you want to read about the driver development, you could look here:

http://linmodems.org

and if you want more information than you can imagine (including the
driver downloads), try:

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

BTW, arachne fans reading this might like to know that I have arachne
working with a PCI modem (a real one, not a winmodem). I will post details
soon...

--
Gregor Jones                           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA