Howard,

I've got plenty of e-mail addresses (all valid). I don't subscribe
to the list with more than one at a time. The useful thing about
the gmx address is that I can change it and keep the same account.

Unfortunately, I get lots of spam to the addresses I can't change,
and none to the one I can. Go figure.

Much easier to attack a stationary target than a moving target!

There are still a number of open NNTP servers around but for obvious
reasons they don't allow posting. This works well with KA9Q and Snews,
since Snews defaults to using a mail2news gateway for posting.

Sometimes an open NNTP server says posting OK, but then any attempt to post is
rejected.  Where do I find a mail-to-news gateway, and would it be for posting
only, not receiving?  It seems news.announce.newusers is not active these days.
There are troubles with news.bluegrass.net server missing many messages, since
March 24, might be a problem with the upstream server.  Last night
news.bluegrass.net was down and completely inaccessible.  I assume I could use a
mail-to-news gateway from an email program, accessing the SMTP server.

BBS's and Fidonet may be down, but they're not dead yet. Dialup is
still quite popular outside of North America and there seem to be a
number of Internet (telnetable) BBS's springing up using cable and
DSL technology. I started looking into this stuff a few months ago
as an alternative to all the commercial gunk on the Internet, and
have been fairly impressed.

Are those telnetable BBSes telnet-only, or can they also be dialed?  Except in
one's local calling area, telnet would be preferable to dialing directly because
of long-distance telephone costs.  I remember finding several then-current lists
of BBSes in early 1998, and about half the listings were erroneous or outdated.
Maybe they were giving way to the Internet.  Now I have no current list of BBSes
and don't know where to find a current list.  I haven't yet tried telnet from
Arachne, would be more inclined to try TCPPORT with a DOS BBS dialer.

DOS Lynx386 is useful for browsing a newsgroup to find the message number range,
but no way to do that with Arachne.  Does Bobcat have any NNTP functionality?