Since short every time I use Arachne 1.61 on my Windows free Pentium II with
DrDos 7.03 I get "Error 6, Invalid Opcode."
This error is given by EMM386.exe.

That sounds like an invalid processor instruction, most likely caused by the
program getting lost, outside the program code area.  I have experience with
assembler language programming for DOS, to a lesser extent for OS/2.  C language
is notorious for null pointer assignments.  I don't know whether to blame
Arachne, EMM386.EXE, other parts of DR-DOS 7.03, or DOS TCP/IP.  I have had the
computer hang sometimes with UKA_PPP or DOS Lynx386 and come back in year 1994
or 2094 after rebooting, though this hasn't yet occurred with Arachne.

Another thing that can happen with a program getting lost is a BOUND violation,
activating int 5, which due to Intel and IBM getting their signals crossed, is
also the print-screen interrupt.  This explains why I would sometimes get caught
in a print-screen loop, where the screen contents are printed repeatedly and
endlessly until I intervene, as by turning off the printer and rebooting.

As I recall, an opcode is a hex instruction code.  I might be technically
wrong on this point because it has been more than 20 years since I worked
with opcodes.  I used to have to load a series of "opcodes" into
micro-processors by using a hex keypad.  This was my introduction to what
is now known as "computer programming".  I didn't work for very long at
this method of computer programming because it became obsolete very fast.

to Sam Heywood:  Was that raw machine language that you programmed?  I heard
about the original computer programmers programming machine language bit by bit,
setting a lot of switches to the on or off position.