Bastiaan,

In order to change a read only file, you have to remove the read only
attribute, thus:

ATTRIB -r msdos.sys

To remove all attributes (read only, system, hidden) you would use:

ATTRIB -r -s -h msdos.sys

To remove all attributes from all files in a directory, you would:

ATTRIB -r -s -h *.*

On one of my computers, I use a commercial multi-boot program called, System
Commander (www.v-com.com).  It permits you to divide your hard drive into
partitions for various operating systems and it "hides" the inactive
partition from the active partition.  This is an advantage when you have
logical drives as adding a drive in one partition does not re-letter the
drives in the inactive partition(s).  There are also freeware/shareware boot
managers available, but I don't know if they will "hide" the inactive
partitions.

PCTOOLS, prior to version 5 (IIRC), would only operate on drives less than 32
MB.  Your 286 probably has an MFM or RLL hard drive that is within that
range, thus PCTOOLS would have no problem.

Hope this helps.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona  USA

Bastiaan Edelman wrote:

>>Hi, and thanks to Ricsi

I changed msdos.sys: bootgui=1 => bootgui=0

This did the trick... now I can control the program-flow at starting up
the machine.

BTW: it was not easy to change this 'read only' file.
Norton refused to edit... and PCTOOLS does not function on this machine
(a pentium 75MHz) due to a problem with "FAT" whatever that means???

Luckely the old '286' machine in my shack could change the msdos.sys
read only file... with PCTOOLS, wich is running smoothly on the 286.

Anyway one step forwards again in concuring Arachne...

Bastiaan<<