On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:55:20 -0700, "Destiny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Previous discussions inquired of locating old dos install files.
> http://386page.gooddays.org  has dos/windows/os2/deskview of various flavors
> including dos 3.30.

Sam Heyood responded:

> I downloaded MSDOS, version 3.30 from that site.

> Two problems:

> The downloads are RAR files.  The only UNRAR utility for DOS
> that I could find is an expensive shareware program.  The
> shareware program works fine, but I wish I could find a freeware
> UNRAR utility for DOS.

> After I UNRARED the download, I found that the archive consisted
> of two IMZ files.  It is my understanding that you can't do
> anything with an IMZ file unless you have a program named WinImage,
> a Windows program.  I don't know if WinImage is freeware, shareware,
> or payware.  Maybe WinImage comes "free" with some versions of
> Windows.  I don't know.

RAR is shareware, but UNRAR, as far as I know, is free, if you just want to
extract RAR archives and not create them.  But ZIP would have made more sense,
since it is more widely known and used, and there is a freeware Infozip.

I don't know what IMZ is supposed to be, maybe a zipped image of some kind?
But the use of RAR and IMZ is ill-advised.  Since DOS 3.30 is so old, it would
have made more sense to make it extractable using software of the type that was
current around 1990, or newer software that is compatible.