Hello Bastiaan,

This is what I did a year or so ago, having found that
pre-Win95 enabling of PCMCIA seems to be an expensive wish.

First, I found CardWiz socket services for Win3.1 at:

http://www.datorintensiven.se/dinew/drivers/iqnote/cardwiz.zip

linked from near the end of
http://www.datorintensiven.se/driver_i.htm

This can only be installed from Win3.1x but provides whatever is
needed for DOS.  My CONFIG.SYS after the installation included:

        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\SSCIRRUS.EXE /SKT:2
        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\CS.EXE /POLL:1
        device=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\CSALLOC.EXE
        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\ATADRV.EXE /S:2
        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\MTSRAM.EXE
        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\MTDDRV.EXE
        devicehigh=C:\drivers\CARDWIZ\CARDID.EXE

The README.TXT from CardWiz shows a typical installation
including:

        devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems X=D000-D7FF

        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\sstpic95.exe /SK2:2
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\cs.exe /POLL:1
        device=c:\cardwiz\csalloc.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\atadrv.exe /S:2
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mti1.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mti2p.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mtaa.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mtab.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mtatm.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mthb2.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mtddrv.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\mtsram.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\ftl.exe
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\ssmsflsh.sys
        devicehigh=c:\cardwiz\cardid.exe

Also note that:

        "This version currently handles one Memory Manager
    (EMM386.EXE). It does not correct for memory conflicts
    that result from the presence of QEMM, 386MAX, or other
    memory managers."

You will also need any card services required by your card
(in my case, EZSCSI 4 for my Adaptec SlimSCSI adapter, used
for CD-RW and film scanner).

I've uploaded a 532kB zipfile of the whole CardWiz directory,
for you to install "by hand", if you wish. Don't forget to alter
your CONFIG.SYS as shown above (using the correct directory
location!) and temporarily disable QEMM if you use it.

Once it is working, you can try removing any files that look
surplus to your requirements.

The file is at http://www.oldjake.co.uk/progs/cardwiz.zip

Good luck!

Jake Young