On 30/07/2012 23:33, Jeffrey Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Ian Jeffray wrote:
>
>> Might be interesting to check if there's any noticeable (timeable)
>> performance difference between the gcc and vs2010 builds... I'd rather
>> hope the latter would be ahead.
>
> I'm not entirely sure if !SICK can be trusted (the CPU speed it reports
> seems to keep switching between ~108MHz and ~125MHz), but it looks like
> both VS 2010 and GCC 4.5.3 are evenly matched when it comes to CPU
> emulation. GCC seems to win when it comes to memory emulation, by quite
> a wide margin. Results attached (running Win XP on a Q9450 @ 2.66GHz)

Actually, I'm not sure how much I do trust these results after all.
Are you getting consistent output for the memory tests?

Doing some testing on arcem on OSX just now (2.8GHz, OSX 8, XCode 4.4)
my Main memory write varies anywhere from 372 to 481 MB/sec
and cached stuff varies even more... from 2.8 to 5.46 GB/sec !

The dhrystone/whetstone figures are fairly consistent though, and seem
to vary in line with the reported CPU speed, which wanders by about 5MHz
from 134 to 139MHz.

"Lies, damned lies and performance test results."

I.